Laddu or laddoo are ball-shaped sweets popular in the India. There are variety of laddu Boondi laddu , Besan laddu, coconut laddu , motichur laddu , mawa laddu etc. Today we will learn to make one of my favourite laddu i.e. ” Malai laddu” Its most popular among the kids. Laddu is often prepared for festivals or family events such as weddings and births, or given as a prashad at Hindu temples specially at ” Siddhi Vinayak temple ” Its favourite prashad of Lord Ganesha. I love Laddu & I am extremely happy posting this receipe on “Ganesh Chaturti” .
- 4 cups full fat milk, 1 litre
- 2.5 tbsp lemon juice or add as required
- 5 tbsp powdered sugar
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp rose water (optional)
- A pinch of saffron strands
- 4 to 5 almonds, sliced or chopped for garnish Method :
- Add 1 litre (4 cups) full fat milk in a thick bottomed pan.
- On a low to medium flame simmer the milk till it comes to a boil.
- Now add lemon juice to the milk in parts. first add 1 tbsp and stir. if the milk curdles, then no need to add more lemon juice. if the milk does not curdle, then add ½ to 1 tbsp more and stir again.
- The entire milk should curdle. Depending on the quality of milk you may need to add more or less. Keep the lemon juice ready with you. I added 2.5 tbsp lemon juice.
- After the milk has curdled simmer for 2 minutes more.
- Then strain the whey and just keep ⅓ portion of the whey with the coagulated milk solids.
- On a low flame keep on simmering the mixture. stir at intervals.
- Meanwhile, take 3 tbsp sugar in a small grinder.
- Grind to a fine powder.
- Simmer till all the whey dries up. Switch off the flame.
- Then add ½ tsp cardamom powder, a few strands of saffron and rose water.
- Mix well and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Slice or chop 4 to 5 almonds.
- Add the powdered sugar. Mix well.
- Spread a bit of ghee in your palms. Take a small or medium portion and shape into round (balls) ladoos.
- Place the ladoos or small muffin liners.
- Garnish with sliced almonds.
- Keep in a box and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Serve malai ladoo as a sweet.
Check out some of my exciting receipes in Dairy Goodness – Desserts & Sweets Gallery