Candid candy cookies : Did you know you can make your own candy canes at home? This candy cane recipe will produce beautiful, pink and white- striped candy canes with the traditional flavor and hard candy crunch.
Unsalted butter – 1 stick or 1/2 cup in room temperature
Powdered sugar – 1 cup
Vanilla – 1 tsp
Almond extract – 1 tsp
Maida/ all purpose flour – 1 and 1/2 cup
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Milk – 3 tbsp
Salt – 1/3 tsp
Red gel food color – as required
1. In a small mixing bowl mix the flour, salt and baking powder set aside.
2. In a large bowl cream together butter and slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix well, add in the vanilla and almond flavoring and mix well.
3. Add the milk and give it a good mix, add in the flour and form a dough make sure you do not overmix.
4. Pop this into a refrigerator for 20 mins/ freezer and then divide the dough into two add red food color into one half of the dough.
5. Make sure to add both dough in separate bowls and color one, mix the food color into the dough using your hands or an electric whisk.
6. Freeze the dough for 10 minutes and then work on it. Divide both color dough into equal parts and roll them into a rope of equal sizes and twist them to form a cane shape.
7. Pre-heat oven to 350 F for 10 minutes and line a baking pan with parchment and set aside.
8. Place the cookies in the baking sheet with 1 inch space between cookies and bake in center of oven for 8-10 minutes until u see the sides and edges changing colour.
9. Once done remove the baking tray from the oven and let it cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes undisturbed.
10. Remove the cookies and enjoy them or gift them as goodies.