White sauce made from flour, butter and milk. It is one of the main sauces of French cuisine, often used as a base for other sauce with cheese. It is one of the best sauces which are used to make variety of different sauces. It can also be a base for other kinds of gravy dishes.
- Butter – 4 tbsp
- All purpose flour – 4 tbsp
- Full cream milk – 750 ml ( Hot )
- Bay leaf – 2
- Black peppercorns – 3-4
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper ½ tsp
- Heat milk in a pan.
- Add bay leaf and peppercorns and cook the milk on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain the milk and discard the bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Add flour once the butter is melted and mix until it forms a smooth glossy paste.
- This is called Roux.
- Do not over cook the butter and flour mixture.
- Keep stirring continuously.
- Add hot milk slowly and whisk continuously.
- Add salt and pepper and cook the sauce on low heat until it starts to coat the back of the ladle.
- Remove the pan from heat and cover it with cling film to avoid formation of skin over the sauce.
- Store the sauce in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Use the sauce as and when required.