A sweet Indian ice-cream made from milk, sugar, cardamom and dry fruits (no condensed milk recipe). This is a best Indian dessert that kids love in hot summer days. Instead of buying ready made stuff which has artificial flavoring agent, follow this simple recipe and make kulfi at home with pure organic flavors.
Let me share a simplest recipe of making delicious & delightful malai kulfi. Kulfi is an Indian milk ice-creamy dessert made from reduced milk and flavoring agent. It is different then the usual ice-cream. While ice cream is frozen while whipping making it creamier, kulfi is simply frozen without whipping making it solid denser frozen dessert. 🙂
(1 cup = 250 ml) 3 cups full fat whole milk .
75 to 80 grams mawa .
Sugar as per taste
3 tablespoon milk
10 shelled unsalted pistachios
3 green cardamoms
2 pinch of saffron
rice flour 2 tablespoon ( optional )
rose water (optional)
How to make recipe
1. In a wide pan or kadai, heat milk on a sim or low flame for at least about 18 to 20 mins. the milk will reduce and thicken in this period of time.
2. Grate the Khoya : (For homemade khoya recipe click the link ).How to make Mawa / Khoya ( Dried whole milk or Thickened Milk ) and crumble it very well. keep aside. Powder the pistachios and almonds to a semi fine consistency in a dry grinder keep both of them aside.
3. Crush the cardamom and powder finely. Discard the husks.
4. Dissolve the rice flour in 3 tbsp milk. mix very well. keep aside.
5. After 18 to 20 mins, add the sugar and stir.
6. Let the sugar dissolve and after 3 to 4 mins, add the rice flour paste.
7. Keep on stirring after adding the paste, so that no lumps are formed.
8. The whole mixture has to be lump free, so keep on stirring.
9. After 4 to 5 mins, when the mixture has thickened, add the mawa/khoya, powdered almonds and pistachios along with cardamom powder.
10. Stir very well and just simmer for a minute or two on a low flame. keep on stirring so that the khoya/evaporated milk is distributed evenly.
11. Switch off the flame.
12. Add the rose water and crushed saffron.
13. Let the kulfi mixture cool.
14. Then pour the kulfi mixture in kulfi moulds or in serving bowls or in a tray.
15. Freeze the kulfi.
16. Once the kulfi is well set, unmould the kulfi sliding a butter knife at the edges. remove on a plate. Slice the kulfi and serve immediately. You can also serve kulfi directly in the serving bowls or glasses.